News

Cigarette deemed likely cause of fatal house fire

By Tara Whitsed

Police have determined the likely cause of a house fire that claimed a man’s life on Monday morning.

Cobram police First Constable Leah Booth said they had determined a possible cause for the blaze, which destroyed a brick house in Marungi, near Katandra, at 5.54am Monday.

‘‘It was most likely caused by cigarettes in the bedroom,’’ she said.

A man, who is yet to be indentified, died at the scene.

Another man, in his 60s, was in the property at the time and received minor injuries.

CFA District 22 operations manager Tony Owen said when fire brigades arrived, the structure was 80 to 90 per cent engulfed.

Seven fire trucks attended, with the fire taking 35 to 40 men about 25 minutes to control.