Man faces court after Tallygaroopna car chase

By Myles Peterson

A Shepparton man, 26, faced Shepparton Magistrates’ Court yesterday charged with multiple offences allegedly resulting from a dangerous police pursuit through the Tallygaroopna region on Monday.

Linden Griffin faced numerous charges, some dating back to 2013, the most serious of which were from Monday’s pursuit.

Defence lawyer Henrietta de Crespigny did not apply for bail.

Police prosecutor Leading Senior Constable Kim Thomson told the court Mr Griffin had previously been in custody.

Documents lodged with the court alleged in 2013 Mr Griffin had been brought up on multiple charges including petrol theft, possession of controlled weapons without a lawful excuse, driving an unregistered motor vehicle and driving on L-plates without an accompanying driver.

Documents further stated later in 2013 Mr Griffin was alleged to have failed to comply with the conditions of a community correction order.

‘‘The accused has ceased all contact with Shepparton CCS and his whereabouts are currently unknown. This office has been advised that the accused has moved interstate to Queensland,’’ the document dated September 9, 2013 read.

Magistrate David Faram remanded Mr Griffin to re-appear in court on August 17.

The court appearance followed a dramatic series of events on Monday when police allegedly attempted to stop a car towing a trailer near Tallygaroopna.

Shepparton police Sergeant Ron Willis said the white Holden Calais failed to stop and led police on a series of chases, pausing only to unhitch the trailer.

Sgt Willis said the pursuit involved at least seven police vehicles and wound through many backroads in the Tallygaroopna, Katandra, Dookie and Youanmite areas.

He said police allegedly clocked the car doing speeds of up to 194km/h.

Police eventually employed stop sticks, referred to as a ‘‘spike strip’’ in court documents, in an effort to stop the vehicle.

The vehicle is alleged to have travelled a further 20km into Tallygaroopna, despite shredding both front tyres.

On stopping at the intersection of Victoria St and the Goulburn Valley Hwy, two men allegedly fled the vehicle.

Sgt Willis said one was quickly apprehended.

A second man in his 30s evaded police for a short time and was later apprehended.

The second man was released pending further inquiries and Magistrate Faram ordered his name be suppressed.


Documents filed with the court allege Mr Griffin engaged in reckless conduct, driving with a passenger while disqualified, evading police, failing to stop, speeding, driving on the wrong side of the road, driving at police vehicles, crossing double lines, continuing to evade after his vehicle was immobilised by a spike strip and placing people in danger of death.