Fire near cannery

February 12, 2018

Cause for alarm: A fire outside SPC Ardmona's Shepparton cannery on Friday night.

SPC Ardmona’s Shepparton site went into a reported shutdown on Friday night, after a fire ignited outside the cannery.

Emergency crews were called to a site at Byass Rd just before midnight, where an electrical pole had caught fire.

A Country Fire Authority spokesperson said there had been a high-voltage cable visible and was isolated to the pole, causing damage to the conductors. The matter was then forwarded to Powercor.

A spokeswoman for the electrical company said there had been an issue on a privately-owned high-voltage cable.

‘‘The fault created a flashover onto one of our power poles, and crews isolated the cable to allow contractors to conduct repairs,’’ the spokeswoman said.

SPC was contacted for comment.

More in Shepparton News
Login Sign Up

Dummy text