News

Passerby helps save shed from fire damage

by
October 13, 2017

An air-conditioning unit in the roof of a shed caused a fire on Wednesday.

A backyard shed in Mooroopna was almost lost to flames on Wednesday, after an air-conditioning unit in its roof became alight.

Fire crews from Shepparton and Mooroopna responded to the call just before 6pm, after a passerby alerted residents about the fire.

District 22 operations manager Pete Dedman said the shed, at a property on McFarlane Rd, could have been lost to flames if the response had not been as quick.

Mr Dedman said he believed a spark from an adjacent potbelly stove caught to the airconditioning unit and started the fire. ‘‘It certainly had the potential to cause damage, but it was quickly extinguished by on-scene crews,’’ he said.

‘‘A passerby said he was driving along and saw the flames and thought it was a bit hard to have a fire going in your shed, so he’s gone and alerted them.’’

By
More in Shepparton News
Login Sign Up

Dummy text